Friday, January 15, 2016
The Pew ends from the St. Olav Church in Kirkjubøur 6.10.1980
Kirkjubøur is the southernmost village on Streymoy, Faroe Islands and the country's most important historical site with the ruins of the Magnus Cathedral from around 1300, the Saint Olav's Church from 12th century and the old farmhouse Kirkjubøargarður from 11th century. In 1832 a runestone was found near the Magnus Cathedral in Kirkjubøur. The stone which is referred to as the Kirkjubøur stone dates back to the Viking Ages.
The village is located on the south-west coast of Streymoy and has a view towards the islands Hestur and Koltur towards west and to Sandoy towards the south.
The little islet just of the coast, Kirkjubøhólmur contains an eiderduck colony.
To the village belongs the islet Trøllhøvdi, just 100 m of the northern tip of Sandoy 9 km away from Kirkjubø, it was given as payment to the villagers as it was their duty to ferry people across to Sandoy in medieval times.
The stamps affixed to these two FDC’s feature The Pew ends from the St. Olav Church in Kirkjubøur, which were carved the Middle Ages. In total there are 14, this series starts with the first four ones. Today they are back in the Faroes, after they were for a long time in the National Museum of Copenhagen.
(140) St. John the Baptist
(150} St. Peter
(250) St. Paul
The islet of Kirkjubøhólmur and St. Olav's church are depicted on the FDCs. In the distance the island of Hestur can also be seen.