Tuesday, November 3, 2015
Swakopmund - Historic Buildings 8.3.1984
Swakopmund (German for "Mouth of the Swakop ") is a city on the coast of western Namibia, 280 km (170 mi) west of Windhoek, Namibia's capital. It is the capital of the Erongo administrative district. The town has 44,725 inhabitants and covers 193 square kilometres (75 sq mi) of land. The city is situated in the Namib desert and is the fourth largest population centre in Namibia.
Swakopmund is a beach resort and an example of German colonial architecture. It was founded in 1892 as the main harbour for German South-West Africa, and a small part of its population is still German-speaking today.
The four stamps on the FDC have pictures of some historic buildings in Swakopmund in Naminia. Brief details are as under :-
(10c) The House of Hohenzollern is a monument and symbol of the city Swakopmund in Namibia. The building was built between 1904-1906 in the classical neo-baroque style. The "Hohenzollern Hotel" was long suspected to be a secret brothel but there wasn’t any concrete evidence. In 1972 the building was declared a national monument.
(20c) The Bahnhof was the Old Railway Station in Swakopmund.It remained a railway station till its demolition in mid-2014
(25c) The Building called Kaiserliches Bezirksamt was the Imperial County Office of the German Administration.
(30c) The Ritterburg or the The knight's castle in Swakopmund
has nothing to do with the knights of the Middle Ages, the first inhabitants were the family Ritter .