Saturday, June 20, 2015
The Museum of the Atlantic 4.12.1976
This museum exists in Palais de Chaillot, on the Atlantic littoral in Brest, Port-Louis, Rochefort and on the Mediterranean littoral in Toulon and Saint-Tropez.
From the Louvre to the Palais de Chaillot In 1748 the encyclopaedist and general inspector of the Navy, Henri-Louis Duhamel du Monceau, offers to king Louis XV an important collection of different boat models and harbour machines. A hall dedicated to the Navy was fitted out in the Louvre. It is used in particular for the pupil's education and for the construction engineers.
Dispersed during the Revolution the collection is re-created in 1827. It is enriched by different ship models, a beautiful collection of paintings of the Navy and many ethnographic objects, coming from the different exploration journeys.
The Duchesse Anne (formerly called Großherzogin Elisabeth) is the last remaining full-rigged French ship is also depicted on the stamp. It was built in 1901 with a steel hull by the yard of Johann C. Tecklenborg of Bremerhaven-Geestemünde (Bremen) according to plans drawn by Georg W. Claussen. The mainmast is 48 m tall and 25 sails were rigged.
Thank you Merja.