Saturday, November 19, 2016
The École Navale 17.10.1981
The École Navale is the French Naval Academy in charge of the education of the officers of the French Navy. They are meant to have responsibilities on board ships, submarines, naval aviation, groups of fusiliers marins and commandos but also in general staff. The École Navale and its research institute (IRENAV) are in Lanvéoc-Poulmic, south of the roadstead of Brest.
The academy was founded in 1830 by the order of King Louis-Philippe. Originally the academy was based on ships, anchored in the harbour of Brest, such as the Borda(previously named Valmy), hence the nickname of "Bordache" given to the students.
In 1914, the École Navale was transferred ashore in Brest. The school was destroyed by Allied bombing raids during World War II, and was moved to nearby Lanvéoc-Poulmic, on the opposite side of the bay of Brest (Rade de Brest). The academy remained in this location, and was officially inaugurated by Charles de Gaulle in 1965.