Saturday, June 18, 2016

Apollo 11 - Man on the Moon 20.9.1969

Reams and reams have been written about that fateful day in July 1969 and I am not going to repeat history here. I only want to narrate my own little experience on my ship with my colleagues.
At 9:32 a.m. as Apollo 11 took off atop its mighty Saturn rocket. Four days later, at 40 seconds after 4:17 p.m., Eastern Daylight time, July 20, the lunar module Eaglelanded on the Moon, carrying Armstrong and Aldrin. Collins remained in the Columbia command module orbiting overhead.
As the world watched and listened via television and radio, Apollo 11 Commander Armstrong sent the good news from 235,000 miles away: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."
And I along with my shipmates in far off Vizag on the East Coast were glued to the CNN commentary on the radio, and when Cdr Armstrong radioed the magic wordsibid, We all jumped up in joy – Man had indeed gone into the extra terrestrial. 

Thank you Merja.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your own experience in this important moment in history. This piece is one of the most beautiful on the episode.
    Congratulations from Brazil!
    João
    brazilianphilately.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete