Saturday, August 22, 2015
Bicentenary of the Unification of Lorraine and Barrois with France 6.5.1966
The County of Bar, from 1354 the Duchy of Bar, was a principality of the Holy Roman Empire comprising the pays de Barrois and centred on the city of Bar-le-Duc. Part of the county—the so-called Barrois mouvant—became a fief of the Kingdom of France in 1301, while the Barrois non-mouvant remained a part of the Empire. From 1480 it was united to the imperial Duchy of Lorraine. Both imperial Bar and Lorraine were ceded to France in 1738. With the death of the last duke, Stanislaus Leszczynski, in 1766 the duchy escheated to the French crown.
On 2 October 1735 the preliminary Treaty of Vienna granted Bar to the deposed king of Poland, Stanislaus Leszczynski, immediately. He had to wait until the death of Grand Duke Gian Gastone of Tuscany on 9 July 1737 to receive Lorraine. In 1738, after the final Treaty of Vienna, he turned over the incomes from Bar and Lorraine to the French crown in exchange for a generous pension, which he used to fund construction projects in the duchies. On his death on 23 February 1766 the duchies passed to royal domain of France.