Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Graphic Design Through High Technology
Although there has always been considerable artistic activity in Israel, as is evident from the fact that Boris Schatz founded the Bezalel Academy in 1906, the era of modern graphic design only really started in the1930s with the influx of professionals from Central Europe.
Among these immigrants were capitalists, graphic designers, publicists and printers. The ports of Haifa (1930) and Tel Aviv (1936) were opened. Haifa's oil refineries were built. Ata, Shemen, Nesher, Phoenicia and many other factories were established. The advertising and printing industries developed to match this developing industrial infrastructure. Some companies, mainly Dubek and Shemen, embarked on systematic advertising campaigns for their products. Their achievements in production, packaging and advertising were displayed in the "Yerid Hamizrach" Fair Grounds in Tel Aviv. Advertising agencies, staffed by experienced professionals, opened their doors.
The need for professional organizations led to the creation of three associations catering to professional advertising people: The Association of Jewish Commercial Artists in Palestine (1935), The Palestine Advertising Association (1937), and The Jewish Decorators Association of Palestine (1937).
The Graphic Artists Association's logo accompanied the Association from the beginning. The first members of the Association, most of them experienced graphic designers, had to fight on many fronts, in particular for the recognition of graphic design as a profession.
In 1963, the Graphic Designers Association of Israel (GDAI) joined "Icograda", the International Council of Graphic Design Associations, which held its 13th international congress in Israel in August 1989. The congress theme was: "Graphic Design Through High Technology?". The Philatelic Service of the Israel Postal Authority issued this special stamp in honor of this congress. The stamp was chosen by the New Stamps Jury following a competition open to members of the Graphic Designers Association of Israel. It expresses the integration of technology (an enlarged photograph of a printed circuit) and the designer's inspiration (a pencil). The strip of colors at the bottom of the stamp symbolizes the translation of the designer's creation to print. The colored squares also allude to the International Congress of Design Associations (Icograda - symbolized by the point of the pencil) which was held in the summer of 1989 in Israel. On the tab is the inscription: "International Council of Graphic Design Associations".
Thank you Dear Merja for this delightful FDC.