Friday, October 12, 2012
150th Anniversary of The University of Zurich
The University of Zurich, located in the city of Zurich, is the largest university in Switzerland, with over 25,000 students. It was founded in 1833 from the existing colleges of theology,
law, medicine and a new faculty of philosophy.
Currently the University has faculties of arts, economics, law, medicine
, science, theology and veteri nary medicine. The university claims to offer the widest range of subjects and courses at any Swiss higher education institution.
The University of Zurich was founded on April 29, 1833, when the existing colleges of theology (founded by Huldrych Zwingli in 1525), law and medicine were merged with a new faculty of Philosophy. It was the first university in Europe to be founded by the state rather than a monarch or church. The university allowed women to attend philosophy lectures from 1847, and admitted the first female doctoral student in 1866. The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine was added in 1901, the oldest such faculty in the world. In 1914, the university moved to new premises designed by the architect Karl Moser on Rämistrasse 71.
The university is scattered all over the city of Zurich. There are several libraries available for use by members of the university, including the ETH-library, and the Zurich Central Library, with over 5 million volumes. The Institute and Museum for the History of Medicine is part of the university.
This FDC and the stamps on it were issued on 17.2.1983 to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of The University of Zurich. Thank you Maria.