Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Caroline af Ugglas' picture of Åland 4.6.2012


Swedish artist, musician, painter, speech and singing therapist and choirmaster Caroline af Ugglas finds relaxation at her summer cottage in Åland. She gives her personal view of Åland as artist for the My Åland stamp.  The My Åland stamp theme is a recurring theme offering celebrities with a connection to Åland an opportunity to illustrate their opinion of the Åland province and personal view of Åland. Lill Lindfors, Mauno Koivisto, Mark Levengood, Björn Borg, Martti Ahtisaari, Åke Lindman and Marcus Grönholm are all previous artists for this series of stamps. In 2012, Caroline af Ugglas got her turn to display her skills.
The stamp has her painting which features a perch. "To me, a perch is the quintessence of Åland. I hardly eat anything else when I'm in Åland. Or, well, I sometimes eat pike, too. I even painted the stamp motif in Åland."  This My Åland issue appears in the form of a mini-sheet, the frame of which will also be a new frame for customers to choose when they design their own stamps using the My Stamps service. My dear friend Ella sent me these gems.
The first day cover illustration is a bunch of tulips placed in a pair of white-soled blue shoes.
“These are my favourite shoes and also a merry and pleasant motif that, I find, suits the cover. People who know me will recognize me as the artist.”
Caroline painted the shoe motif while visiting Åland last summer.
“It is included in an art tour that has been touring in Sweden since last autumn to be concluded in April 2012. I display my work in Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö among other places.”
On the special cancellation, she has painted ‘Mr Stumble Man’, a symbol that has become her mark.
“I have the very same symbol as a tattoo, as a sign at home and on my car. There was no doubt in my mind when I chose it for my first day cancel.”
Caroline explains the symbolism of ‘Herr snubblar man’ (Mr Stumble Man) like this:
“In society we see a great deal of signs telling us what we can and cannot do.”
‘Mr Stumble Man’ resembles the road sign for pedestrian crossing.
“‘Mr Stumble Man’ suggests that you can make a mistake and get back on your feet, that you make a conscious decision to choose your own path.”


No comments:

Post a Comment